Sunday, December 30, 2012

Anonymous: To Be or Not To Be?

I initially thought I'd write this Blog anonymously. My reasons included:
  1. I didn't want it to be about how "wonderful" I was, by doing "all" these kind things
  2. I thought it would be fun from a writing perspective to hide my gender and hint at my identity
  3. I was afraid I might do a poor job (at both writing and at being kind)
  4. I wanted to avoid any personally directed negative feedback
{in other words I was a little afraid to put myself out there}

But a fellow Blogger challenged me on this issue, so I decided to reconsider.

Will writing anonymously make this Blog better or worse? Will the anonymity give me an easy out (I could just drop it and no one would really know)? Will attaching my name keep me from writing as freely? I guess the only question that should really matter is what would be more likely to increase the amount of kindness in the world (which is supposed to be my goal)?

Knowing myself, as I do, I'm pretty sure it would be too easy to let this whole thing drop as the busyness of life overtook my schedule. If I let this drop, I would probably revert to my previous way of thinking ... which lacked the conscious question "what kind thing could I do in this situation?" Though naturally a pretty kind person ... once known as "Kind Ken" in an adjective name icebreaker game  ... if I don't have that question in my mind I won't be as kind or I won't be kind as often. So regardless of whether or not anyone ever actually reads this Blog, if I don't reveal myself (creating some level of accountability) there would be less kindness in the world.

Therefore my real identity shall forevermore be associated with this Blog.

If anyone sees me being unkind, feel free to remind me about my Blog. But please be kind about it ... that way you too can help to increase the amount of kindness in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment